Saturday 27 March 2010

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been....

…..goes without saying I must smile a lot then!

Although Miss Bad Fairy disagrees, she thinks I could do more smiling apparently and Master BF says in his lovely, sincere and gorgeous tones, “Mum, I don’t want to upset you or anything, but your tummy’s looking really fat!” Now, remind me … Miss BF said what?? In fairness to them their comments did make me laugh, along with causing another impromptu amateur human biology lesson, which only made them laugh when they were shown the accompanying sketches on the back of an envelope!

Some people just seem to have a knack for making others smile and laugh don’t you think? On this new adventure, one which given a choice I’d have probably passed on buying a ticket for but there didn’t appear to be an opt out clause, I’ve found so many who are gifted in this area of facial expression.

Dr. Socks (not his real name), wears snazzy, smiley socks which we have to inspect before each consultation. Despite the serious side of our discussions there is usually a reason to smile before each has finished. Last time it was a story about steak tartare which I won’t repeat for fear of any repercussions and then me referring to the chemo consent form as a last requests form (oops!). His able assistants are just as cheerful, Dr. Tinkerbell (she rustles up the magic and gets things done) and Dr Boy Scout (too young by half and our first conversation started with a tongue in cheek chat about coming to consultations with a “Be Prepared” attitude….sleeping bags, camping stove and picnic!

The oncology nurses, too many to mention by name, although a couple (who have psuedonyms) can be mentioned without me needing extra sticky plasters next week … there’s the singing nurse, she lights up the room with her renditions of various tunes, Winston’s mum, always smiling and keeping me up to date on how many wires Winston has sneakily chewed. Peter Pan Nurse, the first chemo nurse to ever have the dubious pleasure of treating me. I’ll have to work on the names so I can mention a few more… Road Runner is a possibility but we’ll see, depends how the Race for Life goes! All wonderful and invariably smiley. Ignoring the needles, sticky plasters, “kiss me quick” hats/sick bowls and the colourful and toxic concoctions they distribute, they make a visit to the chemo suite quite an entertaining trip.

And finally (drum roll please, Hula dancers enter stage left and strike up the ukuleles), we have the airport lounge …sorry, I mean the reception staff, have you seen the new reception at Cheltenham? Puts Terminal 5 to shame!! They work away like little elves on a miniature paper mountain that resembles Mount Vesuvius (in this paper free society that we have). The computer screens constantly flash and ping and the phones are never left to ring and ring. They put people at ease, give directions, listen to moans and gripes, answer questions, organise replacement blood paperwork that numpty patients forgot to take home with them and realise on Friday afternoon they need first thing on Monday ….ho hum. And still they smile.

One particularly smiler can be mentioned by name (’cos I asked!). I think, going on the twinkle in her eye that she’s also a secret bad fairy. Not related you understand, but made from a similar mould, she’d probably tell you she’s the Mark 2 version with me being the experimental model!

She was the first person I met at Cheltenham hospital, by virtue of the fact she was sat at the reception desk where I had to check in. What a welcome to this strange new world. She smiled. Without saying a word she let me know that it was ok to be me and not put on my “library” face. What a weight that was lifted off my shoulders. Pippa hasn’t had a lot to smile about herself lately and yet she still manages it. She gives smiles away for free. When I’m no longer visiting the hospital, Pippa will be one of those memories that will reassure Mr BF and, in particular, the junior bad fairies that there are some wonderful people in this world who made what could be a depressing time, quite cheerful and full of those all important smiles. Thank you Pippa. I’ll raise a glass of Cheeky Vimto to you and suffer the consequences for the next week … but you’re worth it!!

“A Smile costs nothing, but gives much
It enriches those who receive, without making poorer those who give
It takes but a moment, but the memory of it sometimes lasts forever
None is so rich or mighty that he can get along without it,
and none is so poor, but that he can be made rich by it
A Smile creates happiness in the home, fosters good will in business,
and is the countersign of friendship
It brings rest to the weary, cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
and it is nature’s best antidote for trouble.
Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen,
for it is something that is of no value to anyone, until it is given away
Some people are too tired to give you a smile;
Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give.”


Now….how many smiler recruits can I rustle up today?

No comments:

Post a Comment