Saturday 27 March 2010

Alternative suggestions for ....

…… stress relief!


We’ve all read about it, all no doubt thought about it and now we’re going to deal with it. Stress. It’s perfectly natural to be stressed at various points in life and no doubt, in small doses, stress can be quite healthy. In bigger doses most of us would agree that it’s unhealthy. What I want to know is how to relieve stress when it builds up to volcanic levels, any ideas?

I can do the meditation stuff, focus on my breathing and all that but you do get some strange looks if you plonk yourself down in the middle of the freezer aisle in the supermarket after suffering the latest episode of inconsiderate trolley driving to focus on your breathing.

Driving I used to find quite a focussing and enjoyable stress reliever. Due to having numb toes and crunchy joints this has been pushed down the list. I need to concentrate like a learner on the pedals these days and cheerfully remind the children how much it would cost for a similar ride experience at a theme park!

Meaningful debates …. nope … off the list too. When you’re regularly beaten in an exchange of words by a quick witted seven year old you have to accept that the chemo fog hasn’t quite lifted yet.

A gentle stroll through the field with the dogs, that fell of the list ages ago … probably around the time of Labrador Jnr’s arrival. He just isn’t designed for stress relief no matter how much I squint and hop on one leg when trying to convince myself that he is that cute loo roll puppy.

I need some new ideas, preferably enjoyable stress relievers, if a giggle can be raised then that’s even better. So far my “To Try” list is limited so all suggestions are welcome, serious and amusing.

Top of the list at this point is a bit of Greek dancing ….. the sort accompanied by lots of plate smashing!

2 comments:

  1. If you're not already taking them, I suggest anti-depressants.

    I started taking them because I get (got) over-wrought about things, agonising for hours and continue arguments in my head. They have stopped the cycle of negative thoughts and given me the power to push unwanted thoughts out.

    I'm taking 10mg Citalopram (down from 20mg for two years). It doesn't agree with everyone - a friend switched to Proxac.

    I resisted taking them for years as I felt that they'd make me an uncaring zombie that wouldn't care about being an uncaring zombie. Instead, I still get highs and lows but the lows aren't debilitating any more. I can now respond intellectually to a situation (as happened with my recent cancer diagnosis) rather than (over-)emotionally.

    The second thing I can suggest that is a good mind-emptier is jewellery making. I'd be happy to start you off with a small selection of beads and a simple bead mat. Let me know if you're interested.

    Paola
    --
    pootability & paolability @ wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi bad fairy, MrsR here. I don't know what you can do about stress when you are in the supermarket and somebody drives their trolley into you. Personally I swear at them! It doesn't go down well, but then, neither does having my already sore ankles bruised just because the numpties can't watch what they are doing! And most people who know me also know that I have homicidal tendencies! I tried anti-depressents and sedatives, and whilst the odd valium has a place, just now and then, both have significantly contributed to my horrible gastric troubles. Music works for me, in fact music is a great regulator of my moods. The trouble is that when I am depressed or very stressed it isn't the first thing that springs to mind and it should be really, it does me so much good.

    ReplyDelete