Thursday 1 April 2010

Over the rainbow.....

….....don’t panic!! I’m not about to burst into song, I promise. That would be far too cruel of me.

Aren’t rainbows the most beautiful, awesome natural creations? I still see them through the eyes of a child and feel all tingly and amazed whenever I spy one. I’ve no idea if my reaction is because of their magnificent yet simple colours, a fascination with the power of nature or a wish to hold on to innocent childhood fantasies of Leprechauns leaving crocks of gold at their ends! Whatever it might be, I stop and stare with wonder at them all. Luckily for me we seem to have picked an ideal rainbow spotting area in which to live. Since moving here I’ve seen more rainbows than ever, included double rainbows, something I’d never witnessed before and I never get bored of gazing at them.

Rainbows weave their way through many cultures, faith systems and folklore and have done for thousands of years. Some believe it is a pathway or bridge, others that it is a symbol of their God (or Gods and Goddesses). The stories are endless and fascinating in their diversity. For some a rainbow brings peace, hope or comfort, to others fear. After losing a much loved (and very ancient) cat a friend emailed me a copy of the poem “Rainbow Bridge”, a poem I’d never previously read but am now unlikely to forget.

So, rainbows … I know a secret. Leprechauns were only ever taking cheeky advantage of something created by fairy magic (ok … and a bit of science and nature!). Bad Fairies have a special affinity to rainbows. Many moons ago Bad Fairies were punished for minor infringements of fairy rules with a fairy ASBO. This resulted in pots of paints and brushes being issued and the instruction to repaint any fading rainbow seen. Now being Bad Fairies following explicit instructions can be very trying and does go against the grain somewhat. So they improvised. Splash the colours by all means but ladders and scaffold (elf n safety at it’s best!)? No chance! The best way to paint a rainbow is to scramble up one in the most ungainly way possible, attach a sodden paintbrush to a belt around your waist and slide down yelling “Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee” at the top of your voice! Hey Presto, great fun and leaves a rather haphazard stripe of colour in your wake ….job done!

When my time comes and I’m not here to ramble, I shall be sliding down rainbows. No star in the night sky for me, nor cold stone in the ground. Rainbow sliding’s where I’ll be! Bad fairies are good at hiding, but one day if you keep looking you might catch a glimpse of a paint covered, scruffy little fairy out of the corner of your eye, riding the rainbows with a massive grin on her face!

3 comments:

  1. This makes me both smile and feel sad. My thing is flowers. Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rainbows and know exactly where you are coming from. I have found your blog via the burnham on sea website and you have touched me with your positivity and honesty for which I salute you. I wish you my best wishes and will pop in to read your ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a Bad Fairy! You made me cry. Here, have an ASBO! XXX

    ReplyDelete