Thursday 24 June 2010

A fortnight of.....

……fun and frolics!


OK, who forgot to pack the fun and frolics? I can do the odd funless day with no frolics but not two weeks worth thank you very much!

It all started (surprisingly enough) about two weeks ago. After a chat with Dr Socks we all agreed that the Red Devils needed to be sacked as they appear to have done what little good they are capable of. Next question, what to replace them with. The pin the tail on the donkey game came down with the tail pinned in Taxotere, again as a weekly chemo, possibly for ten weeks but we’d see how we go.

That same day (Dr Socks doesn’t hang around…..must’ve had “go faster" stripes on the socks that week!), I had my first dose of Taxotere. Seemed ok, no reactions, all good stuff.

Fast forward to that weekend and my mouth is revolting. Oral thrush, ulcers and tasting like the bottom of a monkey’s cage. Mr Bad Fairy says I can’t say that …I should say bird cage but I think monkey’s cage is far more descriptive!! Monday sees me sulking (in between sleeping) in hospital. Dehydrated, neutropenic and in need of five days of IV antibiotics. Big Hrmph! The worst part? Not the fact that I couldn’t eat or drink, no, the fact I couldn’t speak. A silent and huffy Bad Fairy is not a Bad Fairy you’d want to spend much time with!

Luckily for me, a few were brave enough to visit. Mr Bad Fairy did a brilliant job of managing to hold a conversation with me without me feeling like I wasn’t getting a word in, he knows how much that would have annoyed me! Fairy Godmother made a surprise visit too. She really shouldn’t have, not because it wasn’t lovely to see her but because she has so much stress and worry to deal with of her own at the moment. And the wayward purple Pippa called in on numerous occasions, raising a smile each and every time.

By Friday things were improving slowly. Still couldn’t eat but at least I could manage to sip drinks which saved being constantly pumped full of liquids! Also a squeak of a voice had returned. Dr Socks braved a visit. I think he’d been waiting until I could at least mutter again ….not entirely sure he could have coped with a barrage of hand signals and gestures!!

Saturday afternoon and I was finally released, with a bag full of pharmaceutical goodies. Now all I need is the last bits of my mouth to heal up and then I’m going to have the greasiest, squishiest, sloppiest take-away burger I can find!

2 comments:

  1. Eurgh.

    I've just had 4 of 6 FEC chemo sessions and could really do without it.

    I know you've already done some chemo but I recently blogged advice on minimising food-related nausea http://pootability.wordpress.com/2010/06/20/how-to-reduce-sickness-during-chemotherapy/

    With regard to communication, there are some visual translation books (you point at pictures) that might help, although the only one I found just now is for people on holiday. Might be a laugh, though.

    http://www.skippyglobetrotter.com/book.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a rotten time you've had. I've never had it but know from friends Tax is one toughie of a chemo. I hope it's going to work really well for you. Sorry if you've already had it but in case it might be a chemo for the future just to let you know I'm on Capecitabine (Xeloda) and, for me, it's a kinder chemo. I've been on it constantly for 2 years now for my bone mets..and will stay on it for as long as it's working. A friend with liver and bone mets has been on it for 6..yep 6! years.
    Happy burger eating. :-) Belinda..(BCC forums)

    ReplyDelete