Friday 23 July 2010

Who needs sleep?.....

…..Me, I do and lots of it!


I know, you know and lots of other people know that it’s not advisable to take steroids after about 6pm. My chemo appointment yesterday was running a bit late and it was about 5.45pm when my pre-chemo steroids were sent firing through my veins.

Oh what a night! It was quite obvious that it wasn’t going to be an early one, steroids make me a bit hyper. I leave the chemo suite ready to dance around the car park … the reason why Mr Bad Fairy won’t let me drive myself home! Quite sensible really, goodness knows where I’d end up.

The hours ticked by, chattering about complete nonsense to Mr BF until he couldn’t take it anymore and had to go to bed. A few more hours on the computer …..chatting. The hours ticked past and my little brain was whizzing around, no sign of letting up.

4am arrived and I decided I really should try to sleep. Off I went to bed, little brain still whizzing. Do I want a cup of tea? Why does Tabitha the cat purr so loudly? Can I feel the chemo doing some Kung Fu fighting with those cloudy tumours? Why is it getting light outside so early? Wish Bertie hadn’t scoffed my cake, I could just nibble a bit now. I wonder if the person who loses a shoe in the middle of the road realises they’ve lost a shoe? Surely that’s something you’d notice? Flap the quilt about a bit, rearranged so it’s just right. Punch the pillows into submission, flip them over to get the benefit of the cooler side.

Right, time for the tried and tested relaxation techniques. Flex and relax each muscle individually starting at the toes, this usually works by the time I get to my knees. Picture a tranquil scene complete with winding paths and a waterfall cascading into a crystal clear pool. Repeating the word ‘relax’ or ‘sleep’ or strangely enough ‘black’ over and over and over. And all of the time the clock keeps ticking.

Failed miserably. The clock ticked and reached 5.30am. Definitely need that cup of tea now. The twittering, tweeting and occasional screech of the dawn chorus outside the bedroom window had reached a volume that was becoming irritating! I swear I could hear the rabbits bouncing across the lawn looking for that particular lush bit of grass that would make the perfect breakfast feast.

Ah well …..who needs sleep? Me, I do! Maybe I should have used up that energy dancing across the car park?

Night night, sweet dreams and mind the bed bugs don’t bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment