Thursday 8 July 2010

"I've looked at clouds....

….from both sides now”


Clouds …why clouds? On Tuesday I had my weekly consultant consultation and we discussed my latest ct scan images. Clouds, that’s what I have!! I can’t remember if I said in an earlier post but I’ve developed an allergy to the IV contrast they use to enhance the images of scans so now mine are a bit blurry to say the least. Rather than defined ‘blobs’ on my liver I now have clouds. On a steroid sleepless high last night I spent ages picturing my clouds. Are they white fluffy cotton wool ones, big black thunderous ones or somewhere in between? After much deliberation I settled on crisp grey clouds with fluffy edges, a hint of showers but the potential for the sun to break through.

The outcome of the consultation, other than discovering clouds, was that I had more chemo yesterday. Because my last ‘weekly’ dose put me in hospital for a week and then took a further three to four weeks to be cleared from my system by the unclouded bits of my liver, this weeks dose of Docetaxol/Taxotere was reduced by 50%. Hopefully this will do the good stuff it needs to do and allow me to continue with the weekly cycles. The best way of telling if it’s doing good seems to be how I’m feeling and how stable my liver function is …..scans will just show clouds, hopefully with the odd ray of sunshine peeking through.

You can’t have rainbows without a few clouds!!

3 comments:

  1. Hope the Doc/Tax combo is a good cloud buster. Love Belinda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most beautiful rainbows I've ever seen have been splayed against a dark grey sky with a peek-a-boo sun shining so brilliantly along the clouds edges, it hurts the eyes to look at it. I think your scans look like that!

    We girls had lunch with Hilary today and she relayed your good progress. Seems to us that you might like the flavor of something other than Docetaxol and Taxotere (I can't imagine the taste, but I'm betting it's not great), so we're going to scan our recipes and send a few your way. You may just find a couple to enjoy!

    You are a remarkable woman, Bad Fairy; I've grown quite fond of you through your posts...

    With rainbow love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are a very remarkable 'woman' Bad Fairy
    and a lot of us have grown very close to you as you take us through your remarkable journey.
    Everything crossed for you that this half dose is going to gently do it's job!

    With love Fairy Godmother xxx

    ReplyDelete